Have you ever considered sending text messages, advertisements, or push notifications to the mobile devices of your staff members or customers traveling through a specific area?
You should be aware that this type of technology already exists, its name is geofencing, and it can significantly contribute to your business’s expansion. Imagine the benefits that something like this could bring to your company.
What Is It?
Geofencing is a technology that allows businesses and organizations to create virtual boundaries around specific geographic locations. When a device, such as a smartphone, enters or exits one of these boundaries, it triggers a predefined action, such as sending a push notification to the device.
The technology behind geofencing is based on GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular data. GPS (Global Positioning System) is a satellite-based navigation system that allows devices to determine their precise location. Wi-Fi and cellular data supplement GPS, as they can provide location information even when GPS signals are weak or blocked.
How Does It Work?
So, when a device enters or exits a geofence, the device’s location is determined using GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular data. If the device’s location is within the boundaries of the geofence, it triggers the pre-defined action.
For example, suppose a customer enters a store’s geofence. In that case, the store’s app on the customer’s phone could send a push notification offering a discount or welcoming them to the store. This is one of the most popular mobile marketing strategies regarding geofencing.
There are many uses including:
- Marketing: Send targeted promotions or offers to customers based on their location.
- Retail: Send notifications when a customer enters a store or mall.
- Advertising: Show ads to users based on their site.
- Customer experience: Send messages to customers when they are near a store or a product.
- Security: Send alerts when a device enters or exits a secure area.
There are a few different types of location technology, each with its use cases.
- Radius geofencing: Creates a circular boundary around a specific location. This is the most common type and is used for many purposes.
- Polygon geofencing: Creates a boundary around a specific area, such as a building or park. This type is often used for security, privacy concerns or safety purposes.
- Beacon geofencing: Uses Bluetooth beacons to create a geofence around a specific location. This type is often used for indoor navigation or providing location-based services in a particular area.
To set it up, businesses and organizations typically use a platform to help. This platform allows businesses to create and manage geofences, as well as track and analyze the data generated by the geofences.
Typically, these platforms offer the following features:
- Geofence creation: Allows businesses to create and manage geofences.
- Location data tracking: Allows enterprises to track the location of devices in real time.
- Analytics: Provides data collection and insights on how customers interact with geofences.
- Campaign management: Allows companies to create and manage location-based campaigns.
What Are the Advantages to Companies?
At this point, you already understand that it can be a powerful tool for businesses and organizations, allowing them to engage with customers in a more personalized and relevant way. But what are the main benefits?
- Generate brand awareness among an audience that would not otherwise know.
- Attracts potential customers from competitors.
- Increases customer conversion rate.
- Increases sales as more consumers visit the company that issues alerts based on geolocation.
- It helps retain and build loyalty among customers who enter through this channel. They receive personalized communications each time they pass through the geofenced area again.
- Provides accurate data about the contacted audience, their conversion to leads, and the sales made. All this information can be analyzed to detect patterns and generate campaigns and commercial actions accordingly.
These benefits and business opportunities make it time to bet on geofencing! Blue Ridge Media Company, as a premium marketing partner, supports you in this decision.
Let’s Talk “Growth”
Blue Ridge Media Company (BRMC) is here to help you develop marketing and advertising strategies that will grow your business. We have a team of experienced professionals that can make a plan that gets you all of the attention you want! Visit our website or call us at (888) 535-2726 today!